Abby Hope Skinner
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Abby Skinner (b.1994), is an award winning illustrator and fine artist specialising in portraiture.
She was born in the UK, and lived in Cyprus between the ages of eight and eighteen years. She now lives in the UK.
She studies illustration at The Arts University Bournemouth, where she won the Principal’s Award for ‘Best in Show’ for the 2013 Art and Design Foundation Course Summer Exhibition.
Previously, she studied at the International School of Paphos, where she received the award for the Highest Mark in the World from CIE (Cambridge Examinations) for ‘A’ level Art and Design, 2012.
Abby Skinner’s work is intense, expressive, and powerful. She imbues great energy into each piece of art she creates.
KEY AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS
- Awarded prize for achieving The Highest Mark in the World for Cambridge International A Level Examination in Art and Design.
- Gained a Distinction for UAL Foundation Diploma in Art and Design at the Arts University Bournemouth (AUB).
- Awarded the Principal’s Prize for Best in Show at the AUB 2013 Summer Exhibition.
- Gained a First Class (1st) for Year 1 of Illustration Degree at the Arts University Bournemouth (AUB).
- Portrait commissions. Active.
- Commissioned to create a 17 x 10ft mural design for a bar/restaurant in Bangalore, India.
- Commissioned to create a series of illustrations for a fairy tale by local author in Cyprus. Active.
- Assisted Cypriot artist, Elli Lestas, in organising her exhibition space. 2012.
- Commissioned to create a film poster for Fient Productions for the film, ‘Clingy’. 2011.
- Work included in group exhibition at the En Plo gallery in Paphos, Cyprus. 2011.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
First Class (1st), 82% for Year 1 of Illustration Degree. The Arts University Bournemouth. 2013/2014.
Distinction for UAL Foundation Diploma in Art and Design. The Arts University Bournemouth. 2012/13.
Cambridge International Examinations – A Level:
A* in Art and Design (Achieved The Highest Mark in the World, and awarded prize)
A* in Literature
Edexcel Examinations – A Level
B in Maths
Cambridge International Examinations – IGCSE:
A* in Art and Design
A* in Literature
A* in English
A in Biology
A in Business Studies
A in ICT
B in History
B in Maths
- Specialist illustrations in ink, watercolour, acrylic and coloured pencil.
- Portraits and figurative artwork.
- Photo manipulation in Adobe Photoshop.
- Film editing in Adobe Premiere Pro.
- Working with graphics tablet.
- Essay writing skills.
- Ability to analyse literary texts.
- Trained in working to tight briefs and deadlines.
- Organisational and time management skills.
- Experience in creating and organising personal art website.
Abby is inspired by many different styles and mediums. Amongst other things, the costume and architecture of the Gothic era, the style and narrative of French films, and the atmosphere of the Medieval age. She enjoys surreal humour, and performance art.
Abby is influenced by the Art Nouveau period and style, including the work of artist, Gustav Klimt, and illustrator, Arthur Rackham. Many of her ideas are inspired by literature and philosophy.
Portraits and figurative drawings are Abby’s preferred subjects. She enjoys music, film, and theatre, and different book genres, from classics, like Virginia Woolf’s ‘To The Lighthouse’, to Graphic Novels, such as Art Spiegelman’s ‘Maus’.
Abby is interested in narrative, and delivering a message through art.