Abby Hope Skinner
Highly motivated artist and illustrator, able to work independently or within a team. Adept in utilising the creative process, working from idea, to production, to presentation. Able to employ a wide range of skill-sets, working with any media, and within a large range of contexts. Skilled in emulating a variety of styles and genres. Able to produce classical work, as well as the more avant-garde. Practiced in creating highly detailed work, with main interests being in illustration and portraiture. Particularly interested in creating work that delivers a message, and work that allows the viewer to connect emotionally. Conscientious, hard working, and committed to creating high quality artwork. Highly developed organisational and time management skills. Able to keep production of work within time scales and limits dictated by a brief. Enthusiastic and always striving to improve and progress as an artist.
- Awarded prize for achieving The Highest Mark in the World for Cambridge International A Level Examination in Art and Design.
- Gained a Distinction for UAL Foundation Diploma in Art and Design at the Arts University Bournemouth (AUB).
- Awarded the Principal’s Prize for Best in Show at the AUB 2013 Summer Exhibition.
- Commissioned to create a series of illustrations for a fairy tale by local author in Cyprus. Active.
- Assisted Cypriot artist, Elli Lestas, in organising her exhibition space. 2012.
- Commissioned to create a film poster for Fient Productions for the film, ‘Clingy’. 2011.
- Work included in group exhibition at the En Plo gallery in Paphos, Cyprus. 2011.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
Distinction for UAL Foundation Diploma in Art and Design. The Arts University Bournemouth.2012/13.
Cambridge International Examinations – A Level:
A* in Art and Design (Achieved The Highest Mark in the World, and awarded prize)
A* in Literature
Edexcel Examinations – A Level
B in Maths
Cambridge International Examinations – IGCSE:
A* in Art and Design
A* in Literature
A* in English
A in Biology
A in Business Studies
A in ICT
B in History
B in Maths
- Specialist illustrations in ink, watercolour, acrylic and coloured pencil.
- Portraits and figurative artwork.
- Photo manipulation in Adobe Photoshop.
- Film editing in Adobe Premiere Pro.
- Working with graphics tablet.
- Essay writing skills.
- Ability to analyse literary texts.
- Trained in working to tight briefs and deadlines.
- Highly developed organisational and time management skills.
- Ability to self-motivate.
- Skilled in creating and organising own personal art website.
I am inspired by many different styles and mediums. Amongst other things, the costume and architecture of the Gothic era, the style and narrative of French films, and the atmosphere of the Medieval age. I enjoy surreal humour and performance art. I am influenced by the Art Nouveau period and style, including the work of artist, Gustav Klimt, and illustrator, Arthur Rackham. I am interested in religion, and artwork containing Biblical allusions. Many of my ideas are inspired by literature and philosophy. Portraits and figurative drawings are my preferred subjects. I enjoy music, film, and theatre, and different book genres, from classics, like Virginia Woolf’s ‘To The Lighthouse’, to Graphic Novels, such as Art Spiegelman’s ‘Maus’. I am interested in narrative, and delivering a message.
References available on request